Number and percent of people under age 19 who are uninsured.
SAHIE uses the American Community Survey (ACS) definition of insured: Is this person CURRENTLY covered by any of the following types of health insurance or health coverage plans?
- Insurance through a current or former employer or union (of this person or another family member)
- Insurance purchased directly from an insurance company (by this person or another family member)
- Medicare, for people 65 and older, or people with certain disabilities (Note: SAHIE does not report insurance rates for people over 65 since over 98% of people over the age of 65 are insured)
- Medicaid, Medical Assistance, or any kind of government-assistance plan for those with low incomes or a disability
- TRICARE or other military health care
- Indian Health Services
- VA (including those who have ever used or enrolled for VA health care)
- Any other type of health insurance or health coverage plan (user specified)
Small Area Health Insurance Estimates (SAHIE)
For information on the policy implications, click here.