This resource guide provides names and descriptions of programs that support the grade-level reading recommendations outlined in the 2010 KIDS COUNT Special Report, Early Warning! Why Reading by the End of Third Grade Matters.
See the complete 2010 KIDS COUNT Special Report resource guide.
- Recommendation 1: Develop a coherent system of early care and education that aligns, integrates, and coordinates what happens from birth through third grade so children are ready to take on the learning tasks associated with fourth grade and beyond. See resources.
- Recommendation 2: Encourage and enable parents, families, and caregivers to play their indispensable roles as co-producers of good outcomes for their children. See resources.
- Recommendation 3: Prioritize, support, and invest in results-driven initiatives to transform low-performing schools into high-quality teaching and learning environments in which all children, including those from low-income families and high-poverty neighborhoods, are present, engaged, and educated to high standards. See resources.
- Recommendation 4: Find, develop, and deploy practical and scalable solutions to two of the most significant contributors to the under-achievement of children from low-income families: chronic absence from school and summer learning loss. See resources.
- Additional Resources: The additional resources list provides information for organizations and research centers that contribute to knowledge on early childhood health, development, and education. See resources.